YOUR SKIN IS NOT GETTING OLD.
IT'S GOING THROUGH MENOPAUSE!
So you hit your 40’s and in many ways you feel like you are at your prime …. More experienced in life, more confident about yourself BUT at the same time things are changing….. and one of those things is your skin!
If you are like me, you'd probably describe your skin as getting old!
But believe it or not the changes that your skin is experiencing is not so much because it’s getting "old" but rather it's going through menopause ( or it’s younger friend peri), and it's your changing hormones that are causing the changes in your skin!
When we hit our 40’s , we start moving towards the end of our reproductive life. If you really want to simplify what is happening to your body during menopause you can break it down to one thing – reducing levels of Oestrogen . And for a small thing it can have a major impact on your skin!
So if you are looking for someone to blame for your thinning, sagging, and wrinkling skin Mr Oestrogen is your guy!!
So how big a problem is it?
Well 64% of women going through menopause report skin issues as a major problem – so yes it’s a pretty big problem!!
So specifically let me tell you what this little hormone called Oestrogen is actually doing to your skin!
How your skin changes in Peri Menopause and Menopause:
- DRIER SKIN
Yes it’s reducing Oestrogen that leads to drier skin . Oestrogen controls your skins production of oil. It is the oil in your skin that locks in moisture. So as Oestrogen declines, the amount of oil in your skin also declines, less moisture is retained in the skin and yes you have drier skin.
- WRINKLES AND SAGGING
Oestrogen controls the amount of Collagen in the skin . So when Oestrogen goes down the skin has less collagen causing the skin to wrinkle and sag.
- DULL AND ROUGH SKIN
Oestrogen is responsible for the vibrancy of the skin, which is why it appears like you are losing a bit of the sparkle as time goes on!
Reduction in Oestrogen makes your skin more vulnerable leading to redness, bumps, and other signs of irritation.
YOUR FACE SHAPE ACTUALLY CHANGES (scary but true!)
And if all of this wasn’t enough, declining Oestrogen also causes bone to be re-absorbed, resulting in less defined cheekbones and a shrinking of the chin!
You might not be able to stop the oestrogen decline but there are many things you can do beginning in your 40s) to keep your skin healthy for the rest of your life.. and healthy skin glows regardless of age.
So here are 10 ways to improve the health of your skin after 40 as your oestrogen works against you!!!
- Use an oil based cleanser that nourishes your skin rather than making it drier!
- Eat antioxidants ,by doing this you can help make your skin stronger from the inside out.
- Wear Sunscreen everyday to protect your skin against further damage from the sun. Sun damage amplifies the skin cells deterioration making you look even older.
- Use a 100% Botanical face oil instead of a moisturiser . A face oil is like a potent smoothie for your skin cells helping repair and strengthen locking in moisture to keep the skin hydrated!
- Do Daily Facial exercises – keeping your face muscles healthy through exercise is a key way to reduce sagging and maintain good circulation in the skin !
- Take a skin supplement that is packed with vitamins and minerals from Fruit and vegetables. Plants have all the critical nutrients to keep skin cells healthy. Flooding your body with the good stuff has been clinically proven to keep your skin healthy as you get older.
- Drink More water, and consume less sugar and less alcohol.
- Don’t forget your neck when moisturising !
- De-stress !!! Stress can make your skin drier and more sensitive. It can also trigger conditions like psoriasis. Reducing the amount of cortisol rushing your skin can really help your skin look younger!!!
- Get More sleep!!! lack of sleep causes the stress hormone cortisol to be released, which in turn encourages inflammation in the skin. It is recommended to get seven to nine hours of sleep per night for most adults. Less than that can play a role in the development of wrinkles, sagging skin, and dark circles under the eyes!!
There are so many things you can do for your skin to make it healthier as you go through your 40's and 50's. A key tip : Consistency is King! healthy skin comes from the accumulation of actions taken every day over a period of time . But it is so worth it! Healthy skin brings back your confidence! And who doesn't want that!
Looking for a skincare routine specifically designed for +40 ? CLICK HERE to learn more..