A lovely customer called me today about how to reduce dark spots (or Melasma as it is known) on your face. Given that I have spent a lot a time discussing it since the call, I thought I would share our thoughts with the broader Clean Skin Movement Community.
Melasma is caused by changing estrogen levels and sun exposure. It often appears during pregnancy but can also appear during peri- menopause (that time during your 40’s when things are changing as you approach the big M).
According to Menopause Matters: “Estrogens moderate melanin production by keeping it under control. As menopause begins, any areas of the skin that have been exposed to UV rays can lead to brown age spots appearing on the face, neck, hands, arms and chest in many women. This is due to melanin synthesis increasing due to a lack of estrogen.”
Like a lot of the solutions thrown at you by the skincare industry, many clinics and companies suggest harsh treatment such as bleaching creams, laser therapy, chemical peels, dermabrasion or cryotherapy, which could (and most likely do!) have long term damaging effects to your skin!
Instead of attacking delicate over 40’s skin with chemicals and peels, we suggest feeding your skin superfoods! Menopausal skin tends to lack oils and nutrients. There are many cold pressed super oils that deliver essential vitamins and minerals to the skin that may assist with Melasma. A few that we would suggest:
1. Brazil Nut Oil is full of nutrients, in particular they are packed with selenium and omega 3 fatty acids, all of which are good at repairing skin cells from sun damage. Selenium neutralizes free radicals and other skin-damaging compounds. It’s similar to vitamin E as it safeguards cell membranes, the protective coating around cells and assists with slowing down pigmentation.
2. Seabuckthorn Oil contains about 70% linoleic acid and alpha-linolenic acids, and research has demonstrated that linoleic acid and alpha-linolenic acid applied topically lightens hyper-pigmentations. Sea buckthorn contains vitamin C, which helps lighten hyperpigmentation, and also contains antioxidant “gallocatechins,” which are effective against excess melanin in the skin. In a 2013 study on people with melasma (mask-like hyperpigmentation), researchers found that sea buckthorn extract helped decrease levels of melanin and helped fade the dark areas on the skin.
3. Tomato seed oil contains antioxidants from vitamins E and F along with beta carotenoids to replenish and revive your skin tissues. Beta Carotenoids are converted to vitamin A by the body which speeds up the healing of the skin and reduces age spots
4. Rose essential oil also rejuvenates & brightens dull & discolored skin so it can also be used to even out hyperpigmentation
5.Geranium Essential oil: Effective in lightening scars, blemishes and dark spots, geranium essential oil is one of the top essential oils for hyperpigmentation.
6. Shea Butter - a great natural alternative to hydroquinone, which is a commonly prescribed treatment for discolorations but it can cause allergic reactions and rashes. Shea Butter is a safe, all-natural alternative that neutralises free radicals that damage your skin and to heal and regenerate your skin cells.
7 Pomegranate Seed Oil that naturally contains unique punicic acid which helps to fade hyper-pigmentation.
Based on these amazing natural ingredients there are two products in The Clean Skin Movement Skincare range that contain these ingredients that you could incorporate into your skincare ritual if you suffer from Melasma that could assist your skin:
a) The Harvest Face Oil – apply morning and night on a clean face. This amazing face oil contains Brazil nut oil, Seabuckthorn Oil, and Rose Geranium Essential oil. It also contains Rosehip oil which is also deeply repairing. This oil also deeply hydrates the face and brings out your natural glow.
b) Fruit Concentrate Eye and Face treatment. This gorgeous balm ( which has the scent of pomegranate oil) is thicker than an oil and is to be applied before bed to deliver intense vitamins and minerals while the skin rejuvenates at night. It contains Shea Butter and pomegranate seed oil which feeds the skin essential vitamins while the skin regenerates at night. It also contains a high amount of vitamin E from the Kiwi Seed Oil in the product that stimulates collagen.
These two products are used in combination - The Harvest Oil morning and night. Then the Fruit Concentrate over the oil before bed.
We have conveniently packaged the two products together into the "Dark Spots" pack which is available in 2 sizes and amazingly discounted price points!
The Dark Spots Trial Pack is only $29.95, it contains 12ml Harvest Face oil and 15ml of the Fruit concentrate. Enough for 21 Days and for you to evaluate the results on your own skin.
The Dark Spots Full Pack is only $80 ( discounted by 15% compared to buying each product on their own. It contains the 30ml Harvest Face Oil and the 50ml Fruit Concentrate.
The big difference with The Clean Skin Movement skincare products is that we are looking to feed your skin vitamins and minerals sourced from natural sources rather than attack it with chemicals and synthetic ingredients!